There are a number of technical analysis books that provide a new trader with a better understanding of technical analysis and how to effectively apply it to any market.
These books help the readers learn methods of reading price charts of tradable and financial markets.
The 10 best books for learning technical analysis are:
- Technical Analysis Of The Financial Markets: Best for beginners as it provides in-depth information on technical analysis in a textbook style.
- Advanced Technical Analysis: A Guide to High Probability Trading by Aligning with Smart Money: Best for more advanced traders that already know the basics of technical analysis.
- Encyclopedia of Chart Patterns: Best for explaining chart patterns in price charts.
- Technical Analysis Using Multiple Timeframes: Best for explaining using technical analysis on multiple timeframes.
- Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques: Best for helping readers understand Japanese candlestick charts and the patterns they form.
- Technical Analysis for Dummies: Best for providing basic information on technical analysis for beginners.
- Charting And Technical Analysis: Best for explaining chart patterns with other technical analysis techniques.
- A Complete Guide To Volume Price Analysis: Best for the study of using volume to help make trade decisions.
- The Wyckoff Methodology in Depth: Best for providing information on a technical analysis technique called the Wyckoff method.
- Elliott Wave Principle: A Key to Market Behavior: Best for providing information on a technical analysis technique called the Elliott Wave Principle.
These books offer unique perspectives on technical analysis and the specific theories within technical analysis.
Technical Analysis Of The Financial Markets
Author: John Murphy
Technical Analysis Of The Financial Markets is a great beginner friendly book for new traders to read that will help guide a trader from a beginner to a more advanced technical analyst.
The book primarily focuses on the futures markets but the techniques and information can be applied to any tradable asset with historical price data.
The Technical Analysis Of The Financial Markets book covers:
- Detailed information on different trading indicators
- Chart patterns definition
- List of chart patterns
- Technical analysis theories
- Price chart examples using technical analysis
- Concepts of technical analysis explained
- Glossary of technical analysis terms
This book is one of the best options to gain a complete understanding of technical analysis.
Advanced Technical Analysis
Author: Jon Fibonacci
The book Advanced Technical Analysis: A Guide to High Probability Trading by Aligning with Smart Money offers readers information on more advanced technical analysis concepts.
The Advanced Technical Analysis book covers:
- Reading price charts
- Technical indicators information
- Technical analysis volume study
- Smart money patterns in the market
- Supply and Demand theory
- Common Market behaviors
This book is better for those with a basic understanding of technical analysis.
Shop for Advanced Technical Analysis: A Guide to High Probability Trading by Aligning with Smart Money on Amazon.
Encyclopedia Of Chart Patterns
Author: Thomas Bulkowski
The Encyclopedia Of Chart Patterns book is great for helping traders understand chart patterns in technical analysis and how to spot patterns on price charts of tradable assets.
The Encyclopedia Of Chart Patterns book covers:
- Chart patterns and detailed information on them
- Chart pattern scanners
- Applications of chart patterns
- Statistics of chart pattern trading
- The best and worst chart patterns
- How to read price charts using chart patterns
A trader will gain a great understanding of these chart patterns and will be able to find them on their own charts after reading the book.
Chart patterns have made some traders like Dan Zanger millions of dollars so this form of technical analysis has proven to be very useful in helping to gain an edge in the markets.
Technical Analysis Using Multiple Timeframes
Author: Brian Shannon
The book Technical Analysis Using Multiple Timeframes provides readers with insights on applying technical analysis on different timeframes to strengthen trading signals.
The Technical Analysis Using Multiple Timeframes book covers:
- How to read price charts of financial instruments
- Applying technical analysis to multiple timeframes
- How to use technical analysis for stop loss placement
- Using volume to help add conviction to a technical analysis approach
- How to find chart patterns on historical price charts
- How to pick price targets for trades using technical analysis
This book offers different technical analysis style trading strategies for new traders to study.
Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques
Author: Steve Nison
The Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques book provides readers with an understanding of candlestick price charts.
The book Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques covers:
- How to understand Japanese candlesticks charts
- Candlestick patterns defintion with examples
- Candlestick charts terminology
- The history of candlestick charts
- Examples of this form of technical analysis in modern markets
- Trading examples using candlestick charting techniques
The book mainly focuses on candlestick charting and different strategies around using these Japanese candlestick charts.
There is less focus on technical indicators compared to some of the other books on this list.
Technical Analysis for Dummies
Author: Barbara Rockefeller
The Technical Analysis For Dummies book is targeted towards complete beginners that know nothing about technical analysis.
The Technical Analysis For Dummies book covers:
- Technical analysis terminology
- How to use technical analysis for trading and investing
- Technical trading indicators and how to apply them to price charts
- Behavioral economics
- Using technical analysis in bull and bear markets
- The pros and cons of different technical indicators
The book is great to help readers get an understanding of technical analysis as a whole with no specific emphasis on one trading strategy.
Charting And Technical Analysis
Author: Fred Mcallen
The book Charting And Technical Analysis offers readers an insight into technical analysis with a particular emphasis on charting and volume.
The Charting And Technical Analysis book covers:
- Using technical analysis to read price charts
- Using chart patterns to help predict price movements
- Using volume data to help spot patterns
- How to find low risk entry points using price chart patterns
- How to read market trends
The book will help readers to learn charting patterns and volume data to make trading decisions with less focus on technical indicators.
The book provides examples of using chart patterns to multiple markets including bonds, stocks, forex and futures.
A Complete Guide To Volume Price Analysis
The book A Complete Guide To Volume Price Analysis provides readers with an understanding on using volume and price chart analysis to help predict future price movements.
The book A Complete Guide To Volume Price Analysis covers:
- How to use volume on price charts
- How to read price charts
- Famous traders using price chart patterns and volume to trade
- How to apply charting techniques in trading and investing
- What high volume means when used with chart patterns
The book focuses mainly on price charting techniques and volume with less of a focus on all the different technical indicators.
The Wyckoff Methodology In Depth
Author: Ruben Villahermosa
The Wyckoff Methodology In Depth book provides readers with a deep understanding of an old technical analysis technique known as the wyckoff method.
The Wyckoff Methodology In Depth book covers:
- Technical analysis using the Wyckoff method
- Wyckoff method examples on price charts
- Wyckoff method theory
- How to read supply and demand using the wyckoff method
- Understand volume data
This book focuses exclusively on one method of technical analysis with very little information on other methodologies.
Shop for The Wyckoff Methodology In Depth book on Amazon.
Elliott Wave Principle: A Key to Market Behavior
Authors: A J Frost & Robert Prechter
The Elliott Wave Principle: A Key to Market Behavior book provides readers with information on using a technical analysis technique known as Elliott Wave Theory.
The Elliott Wave Principle: A Key to Market Behavior book covers:
- How to use Elliot Wave principles to read price charts
- Examples of Elliot Wave techniques in different financial markets
- Understanding market behavior using Elliot Wave
- How to find buying and selling signals using the Elliot Wave method
This book covers Elliot Wave techniques with no focus on other technical analysis approaches.
It provides an in-depth look at one technical analysis technique only i.e. Elliot Wave Theory.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are questions related to technical analysis books.
What Is The Best Technical Analysis Book For Complete Beginners?
The best technical analysis book for complete beginners is Technical Analysis Of The Financial Markets by author John Murphy.
This book is in a textbook style and explains technical analysis, technical indicators and chart patterns.
What Is The Best Advanced Technical Analysis Book?
The best advanced technical analysis book is Advanced Technical Analysis: A Guide to High Probability Trading by Aligning with Smart Moneyby author Jon Fibonacci.
The book provides information on advanced technical analysis concepts and how to apply them to modern markets.
Which Book Is The Most Popular For Learning Technical Analysis?
The most popular book for learning technical analysis is Technical Analysis Of The Financial Markets by author John Murphy.